New features and upgrades to existing features in this version of REDCap include:
• Project Folders: These are a way for users to organize their projects on the "My Projects" page.
• New formats and Survey Themes: Set the color scheme for surveys. There are 10 predefined themes available. See examples here.
• XML Data export in CDISC ODM format: An entire REDCap project is exportable as a single XML file.
• Responsive design of REDCap web pages: A more flexible and responsive user interface to conform to screens on devices of all sizes.
• Live Filters for reports: Any report can have up to 3 fields which can be designated as Live Filters to be used while the report is displayed.
• Default Values: An Action Tag can be used to specify default values for fields.
• Survey Invitation Log upgrade: The Survey Invitation Log is now downloadable in CSV format.
• API methods upgrade: A selection of new API methods are available.
Remember to cite CTSA NIH Grant UL1TR001105 in any publications where the work reported has used REDCap, and let firstname.lastname@example.org know. Thank you.
REDCap is a mature, secure web application for building and managing online surveys and databases.
Using REDCap's stream-lined process for rapidly developing
projects, you may create and design projects using 1) the online method from your web browser using the Online Designer; and/or
2) the offline method by constructing a 'data dictionary' template file in Microsoft Excel, which can be later uploaded into REDCap.
Both surveys and databases (or a mixture of the two) can be built using these methods.
REDCap provides automated export procedures for seamless data downloads to Excel and common statistical
packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R), as well as a built-in project calendar, a scheduling module, ad hoc reporting tools,
and advanced features, such as branching logic, file uploading, and calculated fields.
Be sure to test your project thoroughly before Moving to Production. There is no charge for Surveys. REDCap Projects (Surveys with Electronic Data Capture forms) are billed a one time charge of $300.
Research Projects require an approved IRB Protocol prior to being Moved to Production and require additional time to move them due to regulatory checks.
REDCap requires an Institutional ID. Non-UTSW Users must be created by the REDCap Administrator.
IRB approval is required for use in Clinical Research.
Use of REDCap outside of UT Southwestern or for purposes for the benefit of another party is strictly prohibited. Any other non-profit entities (such as educational institutions) can apply for their own REDCap license through Vanderbilt.
For the most current guidance on the UT Southwestern version of REDCap, please go to the CTM website > REDCap
To begin the process of moving a clinical research project into production go here
Build online surveys and databases quickly and securely - Create and design your project rapidly using secure web authentication from your browser. No extra software is required.
Fast and flexible - Conception to production-level survey/database in less than one day.
Export data to common data analysis packages - Export your data to Microsoft Excel, PDF, SAS, Stata, R, or SPSS for analysis.
Ad Hoc Reporting - Create custom queries for generating reports to view or download.
Scheduling - Utilize a built-in project calendar and scheduling module for organizing your events and appointments.
Easily manage a contact list of survey respondents or create a simple survey link - Build a list of email contacts, create custom email invitations, and track who responds, or you may also create
a single survey link to email out or post on a website.
Send files to others securely - Using 'Send-It', upload and send files to multiple recipients, including existing project documents, that are too large for email
attachments or that contain sensitive data.
Save your data collection instruments as a PDF to print - Generate a PDF version of your forms and surveys for printing to collect data offline.
Advanced features - Auto-validation, calculated fields, file uploading, branching/skip logic, and survey stop actions.
REDCap API - Have external applications connect to REDCap remotely in a programmatic or automated fashion.
Data Queries - Document the process of resolving data issues using the Data Resolution Workflow module.
Piping - Inject previously collected data values into question labels, survey invitation emails, etc. to provide a
more customized experience.